Situated at the crossroads of several commercial routes, Constanta lies on the western coast of the Black Sea, 185 miles from the Bosphorus Strait.An ancient metropolis and Romania's largest sea port, Constanta traces its history some 2,500 years.
The pedestrian area around the Casino is the city's most popular promenade.
The casino has been closed since 1990 and needs major restoration works. Nicolae Titulescu 9 Blending pre-Romantic and Genovese architectural styles, this late 19th century building features four columns adorned with imposing sculptured lions.
Address: Piata Ovidiu 12 (next to the National History & Archeology Museum)Open: Tue. Today, only about a third of the original edifice remains, including more than 9,150 sq ft of colorful mosaics.
Built toward the end of the 4th century AD and developed over the centuries, it was the city's commercial centre until the 7th century.
Five times a day, the muezzin climbs 140 steps to the top of the minaret to call the faithful to prayer. - 5 p.m.)Admission charge Muzeulde Arta Established in 1961, the Art Museum exhibits more than 7,300 Romanian contemporary art masterpieces - paintings, sculptures, ceramics, china, upholstery and furniture. On the ground floor, a valuable collection of icons painted on glass dates from the 18th and 19th centuries. The sandy sea bottom slopes gently away from the shore, there are no dangerous currents and the sea is almost tideless.
Address: Bulevardul Tomis 39 Built in 1867 - 1868 by order of Sultan Abdul Azis, the mosque was constructed of sandstone taken from an Ottoman bridge which had been destroyed in 1828. A century of Romanian art is on display, ranging from the works of Theodor Aman and Nicolae Grigorescu to those of Ion Jalea and Corneliu Baba. Folk arts and crafts are available at the museum gift shop. In the summer, days are warm and long with an average of 11 hours of sunshine.The Grand Duchess was later killed by the Bolsheviks along with the rest of her family.Completed in 1910, according to the plans of architects, Daniel Renard and Petre Antonescu, Constanta Casino is a stunning art nouveau structure, with Art-Deco accents, perched on a cliffside overlooking the Black Sea.Originally called Tomis, legend has it that Jason landed here with the Argonauts after finding the Golden Fleece.Founded by Greek colonists from Miletos in the 6th century BC, Tomis was conquered by the Romans in 71 BC and renamed Constantiana by Roman Emperor Constantine the Great in honor of his sister.The name was shortened to Constanta during the Ottoman era.